Friday, August 29, 2014

Let the Canning Commence!

I had a very productive day today.  We got up early and walked to have breakfast and back, almost 5 miles...not a bad start on My Quest for Fitness.

This afternoon, I canned some tomatoes.  I only had time for one batch because they take quite a while in the hot water bath and we are scheduled to go to Mom Klik's for dinner tonight.  I thought I would share what I did get done and the method I use.


This is part of the bushel of tomatoes I bought from my CSA yesterday.
I removed the tomatoes I used today.
Each quart takes approx. 3 lbs. of Tomatoes.
I used approx. 20 lbs today.


Tomatoes are super easy to can.
Make sure your jars are clean and sterile (run through dishwasher)
Add 2 T. of Lemon Juice to the bottom of each jar.
Stem your tomatoes and make an X with a knife on the bottom of each.
Put the tomatoes into boiling water until skins loosen.
Remove and plunge immediately into ice water.
You can do this in batches, leaving them in the ice water until ready to remove the peels.
Peel the tomatoes and place then in the jars
Press down as you go so the juices fill any open spaces.
Leave a 1/2" of head space (space between the tomatoes and top of jar).
Place on lids and place in the hot water bath (above).
Cover, bring back to a boil and process for 1 and a half hours.


Remove from water bath and place on a towel lined counter to cool.
Easy Peasy!!




No comments:

Post a Comment

I enjoy getting comments and feedback from my audience. Please let me know what you think, keeping in mind that we are all entitled to our own beliefs and opinions. I am happy to hear yours as long as they are stated nicely.