Thursday, August 11, 2016

Mandarin Orange Yakisoba Salad #sponsor


I was very excited when I was contacted by JSL Foods and asked to participate in a Fortune Asian Noodle Blogger Recipe Challenge.


I was sent three packages of Yakisoba Stir Fry Noodles.  I chose to make a cold noodle salad and requested the Mandarin Orange flavor.  You can find out more about JSL foods and their products and contests by checking out their Facebook Page or following them on Twitter.


I started by gathering up all of my favorite Asian flavored ingredients.  I had snow peas, red bell pepper, broccoli, bean sprouts, scallions,mandarins, almonds, sesame oil, rice wine vinegar and the noodles and flavor packet provided by the sponsor.  I couldn't wait to start playing.

Nine years ago, we took in an exchange student from China.  She never left.  Oh she goes home for visits but we are now her parents and she is now our child.  She blessed us almost two years ago with a granddaughter.  Needless to say, over the years I have done a lot of Asian cooking to help stave off homesickness.  One of the things she missed most about home was the food so I tried my best to learn to cook cuisine that would transport her home.  


When I asked her to try my salad and give her opinion she replied that "this is almost how my grandma makes it, except she uses peanuts".  I took that as a compliment and decided that this would be the recipe that I would submit.


You will find JSL products in the refrigerated section of the produce aisle at these retailers: Shaws, Star Market, Jewel. Albertsons, Randalls, Stater Bros, Safeway, Luckys, Food Maxx, Food 4 Less, Savemart, Target and Bashas.  

Mandarin Orange Yakisoba Salad
created for JSL Foods, Fortune Asian Noodle Blogger Challenge

1 pkg Fortune Yakisoba Noodles, Mandarin Orange Flavor
1 small bunch Broccoli, separated into florets and blanched
1/2 c. snow peas, trimmed and cut into slivers
1/2 red bell pepper, cored and cut into slivers; then slivers cut into thirds
1/2 c. fresh bean sprouts
3 scallions, white and light green parts, thinly sliced
1 small can mandarin oranges
1/2 c. slivered almonds
white sesame seeds for garnish

Dressing:

2 T. mandarin orange juice from can
2 T. rice wine vinegar
1 T. olive oil
1 T. dark sesame oil
seasoning packet from Yakisoba Noodles

Combine all ingredients for dressing in a small jar with a lid.  Shake to incorporate and dissolve flavoring packet ingredients.  Set aside.

Bring a pot of water to a boil.  Remove from heat, open the sealed packet of Yakisoba Noodles and empty into the hot water, separating the noodles with chopsticks. When noodles are separated, drain and place noodles in a large bowl.  Add the dressing to the noodles and toss while still warm.  Add the blanched broccoli, prepared snow peas, pepper and scallions along with the bean sprouts to the noodles.  Toss all ingredients using freshly washed hands.  Add the oranges and almonds and toss gently.  Transfer to a serving bowl and sprinkle with sesame seeds.  Cover and refrigerate at least 2 hours or overnight before serving.  Print Recipe

Disclosure:  I received free product from JSL foods in return for creating a recipe and entering this contest.  All opinions regarding their products is 100% my own.








2 comments:

  1. I never knew these noodles came in flavors. I would love the Mandarin Orange too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nor did I Paula before this challenge. We got our choice of flavors and I couldn't resist the Mandarin Orange.

      Delete

I enjoy getting comments and feedback from my audience. Please let me know what you think, keeping in mind that we are all entitled to our own beliefs and opinions. I am happy to hear yours as long as they are stated nicely.