Sunday, January 22, 2017

Leftover Makeover Weekly Menu

It is a singing in the choir, sharing breakfast with friends, stopping at the store, simmering sauce kinda Sunday.

We are just kicking back and relaxing today.  No place to go, nothing to do.  I love these kind of days and they happen far too seldom around here.  I especially needed this today to recoup from our wonderful weekend.

Friday night we met up with our dive friends at the pool to make sure all our equipment was ready for next month's dive trip.  Afterwards we went to a local restaurant for drinks and snacks.  It was a late night for me and I slept in on Saturday awakening late and having to rush to get ready for a baby shower that I was attending.

The shower was very nice but the hour drive there in the dense fog was very nerve wracking.  The fog had lifted slightly on my way home.  After a very short interlude at home, we headed out to meet our choir friends for dinner downtown before a showing of The Phantom of the Opera.  This was my 4th time for this show.  It has changed some from my first 3 viewings but it is still exciting and spectacular.  It was, however, another very late night and we had to get up early to sing at Mass this morning.

So this afternoon, I am just relaxing and catching up on my blogging.  I went into the freezer and removed several packages of leftovers that need to be used so I am basing my Weekly Menu on those things that are now in my refrigerator. I pulled out some kielbasa, ham, meatloaf, turkey pot pie and beef and cabbage soup.  I'm going to attempt to repurpose all of this into something new each night this week.


I stopped on the way home from church to pick up some good canned Italian tomatoes and started my "leftover makeover" week with a Ragu Bolognese, using some of the kielbasa and all of the remaining meatloaf. It is simmering away as I write this post and it is starting to smell mighty good in this house.

On Monday, Frank has to go downtown to the VA hospital where he is finally going to get his hearing aids.  I don't know who is more excited about this but I think it might be me....no more repeating myself over and over again....YAY.  I have two meetings to attend at church, one at 4 and the next at 6:30.  I am going to do a crockpot unstuffed cabbage roll recipe in the crockpot using the leftover beef and cabbage soup.

Tuesday we will be taking lunch to Aunt Irene and spending the afternoon with her as she showers. She fell in the bathtub a few months ago and is nervous to shower when she is home alone.  I think I am going to use the leftover pot pie to make a soup for this night.

Wednesday I am using the leftover ham in a scalloped potato and ham casserole.  Thursday, the remaining kielbasa will be scrambled with eggs for our lunch and that should take care of all the leftovers.  Frank and I will go out for dinner before choir.

Friday is going to be spent prepping for our Chinese New Year party on Saturday so an easy dinner of poached fish is on the schedule.

Hope that you all have a very blessed week and a relaxing, enjoyable Sunday.  Our Priest this morning told us to go home and "waste the day, spending time with God and those that He has put into your life"...sounds like wonderful advice to me.

Saturday
Out to dinner with friends

Sunday
Kale Salad
Pasta with Ragu Bolognese

Monday
Unstuffed Cabbage Casserole

Tuesday
Turkey Pot Pie Soup

Wednesday
Scalloped Potatoes with Ham
Steamed Green Beans

Thursday
Out to dinner before choir

Friday
Fish in Crazy Water
Smashed Red Skin Potatoes



2 comments:

  1. YAY hearing aids for Frank!! LOL! I'd say your priest gave you the best advice you will get this week! Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, I'm so excited for him and I heeded Fr. Bechill's advice.

      Delete

I enjoy getting comments and feedback from my audience. Please let me know what you think, keeping in mind that we are all entitled to our own beliefs and opinions. I am happy to hear yours as long as they are stated nicely.